September 9, 2012

Things You Hear In Mumbai

Just as I accepted my job in Mumbai, YouTube had an explosion of videos along the lines of 'Things ___ Say.'  Some were entertaining, some were annoying, and some were spot on. And since I was coming to Mumbai, I watched this one.

 I didn't understand any of it. I watched it again and again and could only really pick out words here and then. But I got that there's a bit of rivalry between Mumbai and Delhi. I got that there's traffic. I got that it's sometimes hard to catch a rickshaw.

 And now that I've been here seven weeks (so long and so little!), as I watch it again, I get so much more. Rickshaws don't stop for you...and when they do, they don't want to take you where you need to go. Everybody gets called 'boss'. That kissing noise is for getting someone's attentions, like 'yo' in America or 'psst' in Colombia. English and Hindi are mixed constantly. Nobody has a bathtub.

And everyone complains about the traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment