I was away for Diwali and when I got back, Mumbai was in mourning for Bal Thackerary - a man who led the extreme right-wing political party, Shiv Sena, who had never been elected to public office.
I've received emails from both my employer and the U.S. consulate to 'avoid going out of your home' all weekend. Makes one wonder how violent an Indian funeral can get! Obviously some people will be mourning, but others will be celebrating.
Thackerary was a racist hate-monger. His political party is named after a god of destruction. He publicly admired Hitler. He was touted as being 'fearless with his words' - his words. He encouraged regional discrimination and intimidation. He instigated riots and the slaughter of thousands of non-Hindu men, women, and children. He added fear, grief, and suffering to the world.
I won't celebrate his death even though I'm glad he's out of India's political picture, but I also won't mourn the loss of a man so hateful. I'll only mourn the loss of a life misled.
I've received emails from both my employer and the U.S. consulate to 'avoid going out of your home' all weekend. Makes one wonder how violent an Indian funeral can get! Obviously some people will be mourning, but others will be celebrating.
Thackerary was a racist hate-monger. His political party is named after a god of destruction. He publicly admired Hitler. He was touted as being 'fearless with his words' - his words. He encouraged regional discrimination and intimidation. He instigated riots and the slaughter of thousands of non-Hindu men, women, and children. He added fear, grief, and suffering to the world.
I won't celebrate his death even though I'm glad he's out of India's political picture, but I also won't mourn the loss of a man so hateful. I'll only mourn the loss of a life misled.
No comments:
Post a Comment