June 10, 2013

"Please Do the Needful"



Of all the language spoken in India, English is often the language chosen in which to communicate.  Many Indians actually grow up speaking English, and sometimes, only English. Yet, just as American English sounds different than British English, or New Zealand English, or Australian English, and they each have their own unique phrases, Indian English is uniquely its own. 

There are 'Indianisms' in English that make perfect sense in India, but leave a 'non-native Indian English-speaker' completely confused. For as many times as I've asked a local, 'Could you please repeat that?' when trying to decipher their meaning through their accents, I've had locals tell me, 'Sorry, madam, I cannot understand your English.'  (dramatic eye roll here)

To give you an idea, here's an amusing little article recently published of 10 Classic Indianisms. And 10 More Classic Indianism. Just to give you an idea of how confusing it can be.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment