November 1, 2014

Middle School Production of Dracula

Many of you know I teach middle school theatre and that I direct the after school plays. I rarely post anything from school, or of the students, for obvious security reasons. However, my latest show has been posted to the school's Facebook page and as I am so very proud of the hard work my students put in for this show, I'm sharing the link.

This was a challenging show for many reasons. Firstly, it is a psychological thriller that relied heavily on dialog and suspense on stage. Middle schoolers are more comfortable with slapstick comedy, melodrama, or fantasy, so this was tough. Every single cast member was in a role outside of their comfort zone and previous acting experience. As one student put it in rehearsal, 'Ugh, vampires are hard!'

It was also challenging because I had a crew of almost all 6th graders who'd never done theatre but were to be responsible for hair, make-up, and our special effects. This required a lot of extra training time on my part, which isn't usually the case, but was definitely successful.

So I am very, very proud of them. They worked so hard and learned so much and we had three fantastic shows.