August 21, 2012

Birthday in Mumbai

Yesterday, Aug. 20th, was my birthday.

Most people like to spend their birthday with family and friends, but that just wasn't possible. And although I've spent many a birthday away from my family, this has been the first time in a very long time that I wasn't even around my good friends. (Shout out Colombia!)

However my colleagues at work, and especially the new teachers who came in with me this year, have been wonderful. We've all had our bouts of culture shock - those days when you want to stay home or shout at the chaos on the street or cry when nothing makes sense - and we've all been making a conscious effort to look out for and check up on each other. As well, our administration is top notch when it comes to making sure our needs are met so we can focus on teaching.

So Friday night, I went out clubbing. Super fun! (see previous post)

Saturday, I recovered as I waited around for repairmen to come by the apartment. The painters had broken the curtains rods and the water heater, so they needed fixed. Plus the pigeon netting guy came to take measurements for his estimate. That evening one of the new teachers whose shipment arrived first and who has her home set up already invited the other new teachers in our neighborhood over for a housewarming. There's such a difference between her apartment and mine without my things!

We had a lovely time chatting, catching up, and sharing tidbits of information about the neighborhood. This is key as not only are we the new to the school, but we're also the first to live in this neighborhood. Everyone else is across town in another suburb with our old campus between us.

Sunday we joined the tradition of celebrating birthdays by going to brunch at one of the five star hotels. We went to the Leela Hotel and it was fabulous! All you can eat gourmet buffet and champagne with live jazz music for about USD $60.

And last night a few of us went to dinner at a Punjabi restaurant that just opened at the top of the mall near our apartments. Some restaurants here are called hotels, which is confusing for us but apparently hotels are called something else. I guess. It also seems that most Indian food outside of India is really only from one region of the country - and it's not Punjabi! This was delicious and totally different from anything I'd had before. We will definitely be going back.

I got lots of emails and messages from family and friends, and even some online video chats. So all in all, it was a good birthday. Even though I'm far away, I feel very loved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment