My school serves a traditional Indian breakfast around 9am, mostly for the workers and staff, but also for students at their break between classes who often arrive early for before school activities at 7am.
I usually eat at home and I haven't found much Indian food very appealing. I like to know what I'm eating and often it's just a different mix of the same things in a curry.
So this morning when I got my coffee, I glanced to see what was being served for breakfast. It looked like a mix of scrambled/fried eggs with seeds and greens, and a tray full of white mash. Not too appealing.
The chef told me the names of the dishes, then suggested a try a spoonful of the white mash. He kept telling me what was in it, but I couldn't make out the words over his accent. So I tried it, and to my surprise, it was sweet. It was basically spoon halvah without the cinnamon or almonds. Then I realized he had been saying, 'semolina' the whole time. Not a word I expected, but now it all made sense.
The dish is called sheera...and it tastes like home.
I usually eat at home and I haven't found much Indian food very appealing. I like to know what I'm eating and often it's just a different mix of the same things in a curry.
So this morning when I got my coffee, I glanced to see what was being served for breakfast. It looked like a mix of scrambled/fried eggs with seeds and greens, and a tray full of white mash. Not too appealing.
The chef told me the names of the dishes, then suggested a try a spoonful of the white mash. He kept telling me what was in it, but I couldn't make out the words over his accent. So I tried it, and to my surprise, it was sweet. It was basically spoon halvah without the cinnamon or almonds. Then I realized he had been saying, 'semolina' the whole time. Not a word I expected, but now it all made sense.
The dish is called sheera...and it tastes like home.
No comments:
Post a Comment