March 2, 2014

Getting In Shape

I'm either the most difficult or the most entertaining client for my personal trainer. But either way, I find the sessions quite amusing. 

When he clenches and shakes his fists while encouraging me with short, grunty, coachy phrases…I can't help but giggle at the ridiculousness of the it. I'm not competitive, nor an athlete, and it's only the two of us in the room. It's hysterical. 

Whenever he says, 'Come on! WE can do it!', I laugh outright as it totally reminds me of my mother who says, WE, when she actually means, YOU, as in 'We can paint all the window trimmings this summer.'

But my absolute favorite is when he instructs me how to properly do an exercise by 'activating your back muscles', or whatever, because that means nothing to me. So I straighten up, focus my thoughts, and think to myself, 'Back Muscles: ACTIVATE!', like the Wonder Twins, and wait for it to happen.

But in reality, it's just me doing nothing while he looks at me wondering, 'What the hell?!'

No comments:

Post a Comment