March 16, 2014

Holi I Didn't Expect

Strolling the streets of Delhi today we were warned countless times to 'be careful' because people were 'playing Holi' and throwing colors - colored powder, colored water - colors that stain your skin, stain your clothes.

Families usually organize Holi celebrations in their homes, and apartment societies also do the same, to provide a safe and playful celebration of the holiday. But in the street, it's a different story. Anyone is fair game and often there is more than just colors being thrown - flour, eggs, and anything really under the guise of 'Happy Holi'. Think the jerks on Halloween and you get the idea. Many non-Hindus often stay home this day simply to avoid problems.

So we had our eyes open and we were wary. And also of thieves and pickpockets and all the other dangers of India's streets, especially during any holiday in which people tend to drink bhang - a mixture of cannabis, milk, and sugar, with the potency you'd expect of a pot brownie. 

So when I noticed a woman in a green sari walking slowly towards us, I paid attention. When she rubbed her belly slowly, I thought maybe she'd just eaten, or would ask us for money for food, or was simply pregnant, but not a threat. 

And then, suddenly, she stopped and vomited nearly two feet in front of her! Just to the side of where we were walking! I let out a yelp and tippie-toed outta there.

Totally unexpected and followed by reflex urge to puke myself! Holy gross!